Why Wash My Brushes?

Untitled design (5)

Because they are dirty.

HAHA! Did ya think I was done?? 🙂 That is pretty much the reason. They are super gross.

1. Why?

We have already established that it is because they are dirty, but just how dirty are they?

You would be surprised how much product gets left behind in the brushes. My daughters love to help me wash my brushes because they like to see all the different colors run down the drain. Not only product, but they also collect dust particles and bacteria. If you have sensitive skin like I do, it is even more imperative that you wash your brushes often.

2. How often?

I try to wash my brushes once a week. I am not going to say that happens every week, but I try! 🙂 I never go more than 2 weeks. If I try a new product and I end up being allergic to it, I wash whatever brushes were used to apply it. If you don’t wash your brushes, then next time (even if using a different product) you could still have a reaction because of left overs from the previous product.

3. How to dry?

85EA0125-6921-48D7-A875-F382C6F0C709

This is how I dry mine. I have a brush hanger thing that I bought at amazon like this: Makeup Brush Drying Rack it works really well unless I am drying this many brushes. If I am washing all my brushes, I use my daughters pony tail holders and wrap them onto the towel bar in my bathroom. This is 30 makeup brushes all drying. I usually leave them to dry for 48 hours just to make sure they are really, really dry. You want to dry them upside down, so the water doesn’t stay down inside where the bristles attach to the brush. After drying, they are as good as new!

* Right now I use Bare Minerals Brush Soap. The spray is from Ulta. I was giving it a try, but it stinks to high heaven. After my Bare Minerals is gone, I am going to try making my own and see if it works just as well.*

Comment below letting me know how often you wash your brushes and what is your favorite kind of soap?

1. Misspector says:

I loved your post! It was helpful. Keep up the good work!

2. Kristie Jukkola says:

The ponytail trick is genius! Thanks for sharing!

It might be a little hokey, but it works! 🙂 haha

3. Adriana says:

Yes! Washing is so important! I’m lucky that I found an oil based cleaner that cleanse brushes dry! So no need to wait 2 days to use them again. Before I found that, I just used dawn dish soap. 😂

I have always been a little leary of the waterless cleansers. I will have to step out of my comfort zone and give one a try. 🙂

4. Great post. Forwarding to a friend, how I am sure, doesn’t wash their brushes.

5. Christa says:

I wash mine with a combination of 1 part olive oil and 2 parts antibacterial soap (used Dawn). So inexpensive to make. I also bought a brush cleaning mat. That really helped to get my brushes clean. I’m a bad person and wash my brushes about once a month. I don’t use face brushes to apply foundation so I don’t wash them as often. I just spot clean my eye brushes when I need them.

I am going to try some homemade once my other stuff is gone. I like my mat, it helps a lot!

6. krish says:

Nice idea…simple and effective..
    Good writeup .

I think this is important to do. They’d get pretty dirty over time and I wouldn’t want bacteria or other gross stuff to form on them.

8. I’m so bad about washing my brushes! I am pretty sure I have a community of microbes chilling out asking each other if they are #TeamStila or #TeamLauraMercier. My microbes are obviously super into hashtags. 🙂

9. I try to wash my brushes but it does not always happen. It is amazing how much color comes out of the brushes.

10. I love that brush hanger! I try to wash my brushes often bc the thought of how dirsty they get really bothers me!

11. Okay, so I’ll be washing my brushes right after commenting. 🙂 Actually I do know that they get dirty, but I’m scared that they’ll get ruined if I wash them. So I just buy new ones instead.

12. Really need to wash our brush.. use so long but never wash, lazy me… better start washing after commenting..

13. tenzendude says:

I think that is really sound advice given that you are talking about something as sensitive as skin. Maybe your soon to be created cleaning solution is a good business idea.

14. Natalia says:

I don’t use brushes so often and I’ve never been thinking of washing them! Now I think that not doing that is a bit gross! Need to change my habits! 🙂

15. I’m totally guilty of not washing my brushes. I don’t really use them all that often, so I don’t think about it.

16. What an interesting post! I am guilty of being a bit of an procrastinator when it comes to cleaning my brushes. This really opened my eye! Thanks for sharing.

17. Wanda Lopez says:

I agree, I also try and wash my brushes every other week or even weekly depending on the use I have given them. But, I always struggled on how to set them to dry effectively, so I’m loving your tip with the hair tie. Love it! Thanks.

18. Washing is sooooo important! I do this often and buy new ones too!

19. rhianwestbur says:

I absolutely hate washing my brushes because it just takes so long. But washing is so important x

20. I don’t use brushes often but I feel i should still watch them just to get rid off all makeup materials and dust. and so that i can keep them longer!

21. Wow! I’ve never been ken on washing my brushes but I agree that they actually get dirty from too much makeup. I also love how you hang them .

22. This is a great post. I definitely need to take better care of my brushes so will be using the advice here for sure.

23. I don’t do makeup daily, so I try to was them once in every two weeks. I have seen people who never wash their brushes. This post is definitely an eye opener for them.

24. This is prolly the reason why I’m not a makeup aficionado haha. But great advice, I don’t think a lot of people I know would consider washing their makeup brushes.

25. gill42 says:

Fantastic post! I will definitely be sharing this with my wife and daughter-in-law. Thank you!

26. I wash my makeup brushes every month. I only use them once or twice a week. I use a makeup brush cleaner.

27. Wui Kathy says:

Thanks for this great post! I just thinking of washing my makeup brush, but not sure how to maintain it. Thanks for the great sharing!

28. This is a good post for sanitizing our brushes. Am guilty sometimes I overlooked at this, but with a nice cleanser (or a good shampoo will do) that would be fine.

29. Lol at the opener 🙂 Totally agree, it’s important to wash makeup brushes because they are filthy. I use an aloe vera face cleanser to wash mine 🙂

30. Hahaha! I would have to agree that there is no need for long explanations on why we need to wash our brushes because it’s dirty. PERIOD

Anyway, I love your insights and they’re all true. Thank you for sharing about it.

31. lisajlegend says:

Great tips I was arguing with my teenage cousin about washing brushes the other day because she wants to be a makeup artist and I told her she has to start with taking care of her personal equipment first. I have just sent her your link.

Yes, it is very important to take care of your brushes so they will last a long time! Otherwise, you will be buying new ones often!

32. Sigrid Says says:

I wash my brushes, too, using organic liquid soap. I cannot imagine the dirt, makeup and bacteria stuck there. hehe

What kind of soap do you use? I am looking for something new!

33. Jennifer Prince says:

Guilty as charged! I never wash mine, but I really need to. Thank you for the reminder to do so!

Very important!