A Life Lived, A Dream Fulfilled, A Purpose Served

Untitled design (4)So, I realize that this blog is about beauty reviews, but I also realize that people usually want to know a little about the person behind the writing. I know of all the blogs that I follow, it helps me understand where they are coming from a little better if I know a little about their life. So, in this post I will introduce myself a bit.

bbaa0b8efc25bda87623ad9306d1ac41
*source unknown

I was born and raised in Oklahoma. I am the daughter of two of the most wonderful people I have ever met. My dad has always been a hard worker and when we were growing up, he pastored a church full time as well as working another full time job so that he could support the 5 of us kids. My momma has also always been a hard worker. She made and sold things so that we could afford things that we wouldn’t have been able to otherwise. My parents are good people who raised me to love God, love others, and be responsible. I was spanked growing up (I know, GASP), and I thank the Lord for it. It taught me that there are consequences to actions and that has served me well in my life.

I have four siblings that I love very much! We didn’t always get along, but as we got older we all found common ground. I love getting together with them now and talking about our childhood. We all now have families and I love watching all of my nieces and nephews grow up. As I said in my post “A Letter To My Teenage Self” , I do wish I had spent more time cultivating the relationships with my siblings and maybe today we would be even closer.

My love of all things fashion and makeup began when I was about 12. I started having breakouts and I longed to cover them up. That is how it all started. Of course, at that time, I could only afford the cheap stuff. My first job was at Kohls and there my love of beauty and fashion grew by leaps and bounds. I was subjected to a world of new cosmetics and fashion and I was thrilled. It was then that I began to love to try new things. I was always looking for the next best eye liner or foundation or the newest skirt or shirt.

E80775F3-6D97-4E68-B373-1FDEB827C85C

From the time I was quite young my dream was to be a momma. I wanted to fall in love with a wonderful man, have many children, and live happily every after. While things didn’t happen exactly like that, I did fall in love with a wonderful man, I ended up moving away from my childhood home to a new state where I knew no one except my husband and his family, and we have had three beautiful children.  We went through a lot to have those three. We miscarried our first, which was the most difficult time in my life. I ohio 2struggled spiritually, emotionally, and physically during that time. I struggled with anxiety, depression, anger, and a whole list of other emotions that I only overcame with the help of my Lord and Savior, my husband (who was my rock), and good Godly friends that encouraged me. Looking back now I can see so many lessons that I have learned and how blessed we are to have the three beautiful children with which the Lord has blessed us, and we would love to see the Lord bless us with more.

I live with a genetic neurological disease. Dystonia. When we finally got a diagnosis, it was a relief, but also a little scary. There is no cure, only treatment of the symptoms. There is no way to know how bad it will get, we just take it day by day. Talk about a life changing diagnosis! Also though, through this disease, I and my family have been brought closer together and many of us have drawn even closer to our Savior. We trust that He knows and He cares just like He promised.

My husband is an associate pastor and my father-in-law is our pastor. Sometimes being an associate pastor’s wife is lonely, but in those lonely times I am brought closer to my Savior. I am also reminded that being the Pastor’s wife must be so much harder and it reminds me to pray for her. Our life revolves around church. We spend much time spreading the gospel and trying to be a blessing to others. It is definitely a balancing act with ministering to my husband, tending to my children, teaching (oh, yea, I don’t think I mentioned that I homeschool), taking care of the housework, and doing all of our church ministering.

“Why then did you add to the load and start a blog?” you might ask. Well, it is how I unwind. I have never lost that love of beauty and fashion and I really enjoy trying new things and I enjoy writing. At the end of the day after the housework is done, my hubby and kids are fed, and my kids are in bed I love to sit down and write. It is how I relax. So, for me this is not another job. This is not more work. This. Is. Fun.

1. Kristie Jukkola says:

Love it and love you! I’m so incredibly blessed to be one of those friends the Lord has brought across your path. Keep plugging away!

Oh my friend, you have no idea how thankful I am for you!! The Lord knew I needed you in my life. 🙂

2. Adriana says:

You and your family have always been a blessing to me! Thank you so much for always being an awesome friend! ❤️

Liked by 2 people

Awe, you are so sweet!! 🙂 You are a blessing to us as well and we are so blessed to know you! 🙂

3. Thank your for sharing. I enjoyed the article and learned more about you and you are correct it does help to paint the picture for the readers knowing about the writer.

4. Thanks for the “about me”. I always love to read about the person behind the blog and try to add something personal every once in awhile so people know who I am as the person! Looking forward to future posts! xo

Thank you for taking the time to read! 🙂

5. Candace for Avon says:

You are very brave to share your story. I admire that! Thank you 🤩

6. I really love to read about the lives of the blog’s author. Thank you for sharing your story with us!

7. It’s so nice learning more about you and your background. I am so sorry about the Dystonia, but appreciated the comedic graphic shedding light on the disease. Blogs may add to our “load” but it’s a brunt I happily take on. It’s a fun extension of ourselves, isn’t it?

It’s always nice to learn more about the blogger! My daughter is 11, and is really getting into makeup. She is learning how to wear the natural kind by watching tutorials, so I can see her being into it as an adult.

9. Joanna says:

It’s interesting to read about your life. I am not a religious person and don’t believe in religion, but good for you that it helps you in your life.

It is not only religion, but a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I hope one day you will accept Him also. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

10. I feel like I know you more after reading your profile. We’re the same in some ways. I also dream of falling in love with a wonderful man. It hasn’t happened yet, but I’m hopeful. In God’s time. I’m glad you already found your wonderful man. And happy blogging, too!

11. It’s great that you shared your story with readers. I could relate to you more now. Wish you all the luck for your future endeavours.

12. You are so lucky my dear I enjoyed knowing about you. Stay blessed.

13. Writing is a good outlet at the end of the day. I like that you realized that blessings come from God.

14. I love how your blog is how you relax!! I wish I could do that, but I think because I am trying to monetize it, it has made it a bit more stressful 🙂 But when I am not thinking about those things, I also find it relaxing and very rewarding. Especially connecting with people. Also, I saw that you had been diagnosed with dystonia. I googled it because I’ve never heard of it, and it sounds like an awful disease. I’m sorry you have it. I also got diagnosed with something new this past year, PTSD and panic disorder with agoraphobic tendencies from a severe car accident. With my luck, I’ll also have spine issues later on down the road. But what having a diagnosis like this has taught me, is to never take anything for granted. Not that I did before my car accident, but I seem to be more acutely aware of it. I guess that’s the silver lining in these types of diagnoses. Thank you for sharing your story! I also love learning about the people behind the blog, and what inspired them to create the content that they do 🙂

Thank you so much for your wonderful comment! I am so sorry for your health issues as well! You are definitely right that it teaches you not to take anything for granted! To enjoy every moment!

15. SilkEgo says:

I have nothing to add to this. You managed to write your life story and help us understand the person behind the keyboard better. Even the details you left out say a lot about you. I may not have the same view on life as you sometimes, but I respect what you do.

16. I love the fact that you took the time to write an article about yourself. It helps readers to be able to connect to your work even more. keep striving!
    -Young Writers Pro

17. Heidi says:

It was fun to learn a little more about you. I can relate to several of your challenges. I agree that our Savior is the key to getting through the tough spots. I hope things get easier for you.

18. I love reading about the Momma behind the makeup (and blog). I think it’s important for your readers to get to know you as a person!

19. angieh86 says:

I blog for the same reason! It gives me an outlet for all the stuff rattling around in my brain!

20. mommiestalks says:

Inspired by you and your life. Your faith in Lord is great he will never discourage you. Blessings to you

21. Vaibhav Mehta says:

I love how you explain and describe your parents. Good parenting makes a lot of difference. Also, what do you think you could have done differently to have a nicer equation with your siblings?

22. Olga Zak says:

23. It’s great to know you. Writing has always been therapeutic. It’s always wonderful if you found that one thing you enjoy doing.

24. Rosey says:

It’s awesome that you’ve found something you love to do after everyone is tucked in and in lala land. I love that you shared your story. Families always have challenges, but of course they’re worth every second of every challenge. 🙂

25. Jennifer L says:

What a truly strong woman you. Despite these challenges and diagnosis, you still carry hope and positivity. Thank you for sharing with us your story.

26. Casey Loo says:

What a story. Always love reading your posts. Life is certainly not easy but I like the way you try to be so positive and facing it head on. All the best!

27. Nati says:

Hi Melissa, it’s been wonderful reading more about your personal life and getting to know you better! You are right, blogging is the FUN part!

28. Thank you for sharing a glimpse of your personal life for us. You are blessed and also an inspiration!

29. Jackie says:

It’s always nice to know more about the person behind the blog.
    Thanks for sharing!!