A Letter to My Teenage Self

Untitled design (2)

Looking back at my teenage years there are many things that I would change if I knew then what I know now. However, I would never want to do those years over again. So much awkwardness, anxiety, fear, dread, and worry were a part of my life in those years and I would never want to go through those battles again. However, If I was writing a letter to my teen self, there are a few things that I would want that person to know.567AD041-4C9F-484D-9199-6265BFB8F942Dear Melissa,

Just a few things I want to share with you from the future. Aside from “don’t wear that outfit, it will look terrible” and “don’t eat that because you will get sick”, there are a few things that I would like you to know.

1st – Look at the big picture.F3AB0530-4A13-4FA3-9DAA-858017F26B9B

Take care of your skin because you will be living with it the rest of your life. Don’t just try to cover the acne with makeup, treat it. Your future face will thank you. Save up your money and buy some quality products that will treat your skin kinder than some of the cheap stuff. Ask your mom what she uses and how she cares for her face and take her advice. Take care of your body because the things you put in it and on it now, will affect the way it looks and feels later in life. Take care of your spiritual walk with Christ because things that happen in the future will rely on the way the relationship was built in the beginning.

2nd – Don’t worry so much about your appearance.

E80775F3-6D97-4E68-B373-1FDEB827C85CYou don’t need to look your best for a boy. Let your appearance reflect the personality of Christ. Let it show Christ to the world. Look modest, put together, and always wear a smile. In time God will send a wonderful man who will love you inside and out. He will love you on your worst days when you think you are unlovable. He will be who God wants for you and you won’t have wasted time on shallow relationships.

3rd – Friends will come and go, but family is for a lifetime.

Spend more time cultivating your relationships with your family members. When you BA7C33B4-2092-4EF9-9A7A-B16EE1CA75F9are an adult, you will have one friend maybe two that still keep in touch. Your most lasting friendships will develop in adulthood.  Don’t spend all of your time working on those relationships. These relationships that promise forever friendship, but will forget about you the moment you move away, or get married, or even go to a different school.  Yes, friends are important and you can learn life lessons from each and every friendship, but your family will be in your life forever. Spend time talking to your parents and gathering their wisdom. Spend time with your brothers in whatever capacity they can stand you to be around. 🙂 Spend time talking to and encouraging your sister. Each of these relationships will be more important in your life than fleeting friendships. When you become an adult, if you have not cultivated family relationships, you will long for the days when your family was all around you and you could fix it. You may not believe me, but it is true.

4th – Enjoy!

Enjoy being under the caring umbrella of your parents authority. Enjoy living carefree B7911620-E979-463E-8BC0-5D4F51B4EF02not worried about a place to live or something to eat or how you are going to provide your children’s needs. Enjoy growing in you knowledge of the Lord before you are responsible for helping someone else to grow spiritually. Enjoy letting the Lord shape you into the woman that you will someday be.

In love,

Melissa

What about you? Is there something you would share with your teenage self, if you could? Let me know in the comments. 🙂

Want to know how to earn income as a Christian bloggerCheck this out!

1. Christa says:

There are so many things I would say to my teenage self. One of them would be to cultivate a true relationship with God. Many years in my teenage life I just had a surface relationship with God. It wasn’t until college that I actually dug deeper and learned what a true relationship with God is. It is still a sturggle though and I believe it would be easier if I had just started earlier in life.

I definitely agree with you there! Something we have learned that we can pass on! 🙂

2. I would not send a letter, but surely would love to travel back in time, and slap the hell of me, and undo all the silliness, i have ever done in life, Haha..

A slap or two would have been definitely needed along the way. Haha.

3. So much good advice. It’s funny how growing up changes your perspective so much ! I would tell myself to never let anyone determine your own self worth or happiness. Thanks for the encouraging article .

4. Adriana says:

I couldn’t have said any of these things better. Especially worrying about friendships. ❤

5. Rachael says:

Nice post! I’m not really sure but my biggest one would be not to be so afraid of life itself. I keep my thoughts on things much more personal than you do…for that I have always admired you. One thing very, very few know is how scared I was of SO many things…talking to new people, failing expectations, just growing up, doing well in anything, etc. What I would have told you was not to worry so much about looks or looking like me…but being you…because I love you…and I have loved you your entire life. I find being the oldest was the best. I’ve known all my siblings, loved all my siblings their entire lives. It does make life hardier in a way being so far away, but I wouldn’t change the family relationship bonds…to love is to hurt. It’s worth it! 😊

6. Rachael says:

Also you are so right about friends…I became ill as a teen. I’ve made only a handful of even good acquaintances in adulthood. Most of my friends from teen years are just acquaintances now. My family, however, I always there for me. Just seeing the first pic of you on my wedding day made me tear up. I wanted you in my wedding as an attendant…and only you!! Friends have come and gone. I still have you, sis, and no words can describe how much I love you.

7. Amanda says:

If I could talk to my teenage self, I would say don’t rush into a relationship because you are lonely! I bounced from relationship to relationship because that’s what I thought would make me happy. And guess what? It didn’t!

8. Miranda says:

Love the post!! I would tell myself not to be afraid to do the things I’m interested in. Also, don’t procrastinate and get plenty of scholarships to save yourself some debt.

9. Marysa says:

I wish I had realized things weren’t so bad back then, and that there was a light at the end of the tunnel, too. Being a teen was a tough time for me and I would have never known that getting out of high school and graduating and moving on was a new beginning. Always 20/20 in hindsight.

10. Sarah Kasulke says:

I love this post- I literally started a post today that is titled “things no one ever told me” and the skin care is so so serious. My biggest one was about anxiety though- no one ever told me i wouldn’t experience the same thing as others. I never knew it was called “anxiety” because what others described wasn’t what I felt. And i want to scream it from the mountaintops!

11. Kam Balitaan says:

Very true on the awkwardness and fear. It’s funny to look back on the things we did during our teenage years. And I agree that no matter what, family is always the ones who’s gonna be there for us. 🙂

12. kumamonjeng says:

Taking good care of our skin since young is very vital, applying sunscreen whenever we go out to prevent dark spot as the spots are really hard to get rid off. I like your 3 points, especially point 3. Family is for lifetime and should appreciate them.

13. Well, my teenage years were not that good, so I think I won’t send a positive letter but more like I will send a neutral letter. But yes there would be times, I had enjoyed and many of the times had nothing. Also would share some health tips for me. Maybe I should write a letter to my teenage self someday but it will be a little negative and neutral. And little brooding.

14. Natalia says:

I’ve never been thinknig of writing a letter to my teenage self! I think I’d definitely mention the same points as you … big picture is so important not to get crazy 🙂

15. Such a fun idea! Not quite sure what I’d tell my teenage self. Probably to not stress so much about school or boys LOL!

16. This is such a great post! Especially for those of us with children that are going into their teenage years. I would tell my teenage self to not worry about being accepted so much as being a true friend. It is better to have one great friend than 10 fake ones.

It definitely is! I think being accepted is something every teen worries about too much!

17. Such a great idea, but I would love to write the letter and give it to my son instead, would love for him not to have to go through half the things I went through.

I don’t have any teenagers, but this is a great idea when they get old enough!

18. GladysNava says:

What a great read! I love the thought of this article. It looks so fun to do may own!

19. What a wonderful post! This is so honest, and I can totally relate. I was so worried about my looks when I was younger. I had to just let it go and accept that I look how I always will look, lol. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

20. This is such a unique idea. There are many things I’d say to my teenage self as well. Starting with taking care of my skin with skin care products, mainly sunscreen.

21. There are so many things I’d like to say to myself too!

22. toastycritic says:

So often I think we forget to enjoy and appreciate the beauty of the things around us. This is such a great reminder to do that. Such a cool letter to yourself.