Out With the Old – In With the New: Bare Minerals Blemish Rescue Lineup

Untitled design

Recently, Bare Minerals gave a “facelift” to their foundation and primer for acne prone skin. I have always been a big fan of their blemish remedy line and was eager to see what the improvements were that have been made.

old

DIFFERENCES

The first things that are obviously different are the name and the packaging. The new line is called Blemish Rescue. With this line, they added a brush ( I forgot to go over the brush, but I don’t like it. I just use my regular kabuki that I have always used) that is supposed to be used with the powder, but they got rid of the concealer, which was one of my favorite things about the acne care line. 4162E01E-38F1-476A-BB1B-8DAA4878ED62

Next, I wanted to see what the actual differences in the products were, so I went to the ingredients list, of course. Most of the time, the ingredient list consists of things that I have no idea what they are or what they do and I can’t even pronounce most of the words. Nevertheless, I wanted to know if there were any ridiculously long words that were present in one list and not in the other. 🙂

These first two pictures are the ingredients list from the primers. The first one is the new Blemish Rescue and the second one is the Blemish Remedy.

Next the ingredients list from the foundations. First the new Blemish Rescue and next the old Blemish Remedy.

So, yes, there is a list of long words that I cannot pronounce. I just want to make a couple of comments about these ingredient lists.

1. The new formulas have a MUCH longer list
  2. The new formulas lack tea tree oil whereas that was a benefit of the old.
  3. The new formulas have more fruit extracts and have a special mineral complex.

CONS:

1. NO TEA TREE OIL – This is a huge one for me because I love tea tree oil for treating acne. I believe they took it out in order to make the products less drying, but not worth it in my opinion.
  2. NO CONCEALER – I don’t know for sure if this is being discontinued or not. I certainly hope not because I love this concealer! It works really well for acne as far as treating and covering.
  3. SMELL – The foundation smells so bad! I have asthma and have difficulty with certain smells and this is horrible. I have to practically hold my breath to apply it. This is one of my favorite things (usually) about Bare Minerals is the lack of smell.

PROS:

1. Normal Bare Minerals Foundation Packaging – This new foundation has the same184AF6B1-0018-4C4C-B3DB-EF8F29A31F4E twist to open cap as the regular foundations which can help avoid a mess. The old style had a mesh cover, which made it difficult to get foundation out and got powder everywhere.
  2. Non Drying – This is a big one for anyone that has dry skin already. Mine is usually very dry, but like I said I still like tea tree oil for acne treatment. They took that out, I believe, to help it not dry out your skin.
  3. Primer is not as runny – The original primer was clear and very runny. The new primer is not runny 1F294CAF-8913-4971-8F00-EBCC983AB47Bat all and very easy to apply without making a mess.

PERFORMANCE:

I really liked the old lineup. The primer, foundation, and concealer all worked together in perfect harmony to treat and heal acne. I have been using the new formulas for a couple of weeks and must say that these are good, but the old ones are better. Again, I love tea tree oil for treating acne and I believe that it does not work as well since they took it out. It still works, but not as well. I will also mention that my acne is hormonal, so it comes and goes usually on its own, but I love a product that will give a little extra help during a flare up. Overall, if you are having trouble with acne I would still recommend this new lineup, but I think I am going to be using the old until I completely run out. If you loved the old formula, get it now. I believe it is being clearanced out!

DSC_0008

Check out the foundation here: Blemish Remedy Powder Foundation

Check out the Primer here: Blemish Remedy Primer

What do you think? Have you tried any of the Bare Minerals line for acne prone skin? Would you like to? Which product do you think you would like best?

1. Scott Gombar says:

My wife would be interested in this. She’s always looking for new & improved makeup. I will share with her.

2. I’m big on tea tree oil as an ingredient because I have acne-prone skin so I might not try this product. Although the title ‘blemish rescue’ is quite intriguing. I wonder what ingredient they substituted for tea tree. 🙂 Thanks for this very detailed review.

3. Oh, I know the feeling when you have a product that really works for you and then they go and change it… Fingers crossed that they maybe go back to the old formula!

4. ninnadesign says:

I’m love tea tree oil as an ingredient. Hopefully they go back to the old formula! 🙂 Thanks for a very detailed review.

5. joancajic says:

I’ve always heard great things about bare minerals and I want to try out their foundation. This looks pretty nice too.

BareMinerals is by far my favorite since I have sensitive skin! I have tried every one of their foundations and have loved every one!

6. Renata Feyen says:

That’s quite a pitty when they take out the one thing you really need – hope you find something else to solve your problem 🙂

7. mrsyoungade says:

Thank you for this honest review, I like that it is non drying and that the primer is not runny. Though I admit I don’t try new products easily since I have sensitive skin, but will check on this.

I have sensitive skin as well, which is one reason that I love BareMinerals products!

8. vballangel5 says:

I’m always looking for new beauty pot ducks. I’m not quite sure about this one do you do your review as I don’t like using certain products with a weird smell

9. Tamalyn Lee says:

What a great comparison review! It’s frustrating when they change up the formula and it doesn’t work as well anymore. But after giving it a chance a little longer maybe you will like this new one better! I would definitely like to try it after reading this!

Yes, it is!! Hopefully you are right and it will grow on me! 🙂

1. Tamalyn says:

👍Would love an update if you still like it later! And you have beautiful skin – I don’t see any acne!

I have hormonal acne, so it is only present at certain times of the month and I do my best to cover it when it shows up! 🙂

10. Cristina Pop says:

Out with the old is something I should definitely do :)) You did such a great job comparing the products!

11. kumamonjeng says:

Thanks for hilighting the pro and cons. I too dislike the unpleasant smell of a foundation as it will bring unhappy mood whole day if I apply it.

12. Ally says:

Bare minerals is one of my favorite makeup brands right now. I recently switched over to using it and have really loved it so far!

I love it too! There has rarely been a product they have that I don’t like. I have all of their foundations and love every one for different reasons!!

13. I love Bare Minerals make up, but now I”m a bit disappointed to know that they added so many more ingredients to their products… Thank you so much for your post!!

All the ingredients added are still natural ingredients, but yes, I am disappointed at the long list!

Interesting. I’ve never tried this before. I have heard great things about Bare Minerals, but I didn’t realize there were so many ingredients.

15. Natalia says:

I use Bare Minerals make up brushes and I love them. I will need to try This. It’s good to know other people’s honest opinion

16. Jessica May says:

I LOVE Bare Minerals but have never tried these specific products. I will have to check them out, thanks for sharing!

17. Sigrid Says Blog says:

These sound great! Too bad this line of mineral makeup is not available in my city. But I do use a mineral powder that’s organic. I like the effect on my skin and since it’s organic, it’s safe, too.

18. Emma Riley says:

I have never heard of this brand before but it sounds like a nice skin care products to try. I will definitely try this to see the results.

19. I haven’t tried this new lineup, I have used Bare Minerals in the past and loved it. They are great for oily skin.

20. finally to someone to do a review on this and im glad you pointed out the cons. I guess im going to take a pass on this since it doesnt have tea tree oil.

21. I have tried some of their products. They are pretty good. But I like you have mentioned about the cons.

22. I don’t wear makeup except on special occasions. I already use mineral makeup, so it’s good to learn about other available options. Love the Pros & Cons feature.

23. Since my skin is oily, it is easily susceptible to acne but I’m glad that I also got a better foundation this time that works for my skin. It’s nice that you found one too.

24. Jeannine Dippenaar says:

I get easily put off by smell, especially on my face, do think i prefer the old line up also.

25. Kaella says:

I love honest reviews like this one. I make alot of my own body products because of my daughter’s senstive skin and swear by tea tree oil so it is disappointing to see them take this out of the new blemish line.

26. Katie-Louise says:

I love bare minerals it’s great for my sensitive skin too… Thanks for sharing this article

27. I have heard of Bare Minerals before, however, I never tried it. My besties loves it and has her family using it.

28. Olga Zak says:

I love tea tree oil as an ingredient. I don’t wear makeup except on special occasions. Love the Pros & Cons feature.