Recently, Bare Minerals gave a “facelift” to their foundation and primer for acne prone skin. I have always been a big fan of their blemish remedy line and was eager to see what the improvements were that have been made.
The first things that are obviously different are the name and the packaging. The new line is called Blemish Rescue. With this line, they added a brush ( I forgot to go over the brush, but I don’t like it. I just use my regular kabuki that I have always used) that is supposed to be used with the powder, but they got rid of the concealer, which was one of my favorite things about the acne care line.
Next, I wanted to see what the actual differences in the products were, so I went to the ingredients list, of course. Most of the time, the ingredient list consists of things that I have no idea what they are or what they do and I can’t even pronounce most of the words. Nevertheless, I wanted to know if there were any ridiculously long words that were present in one list and not in the other. 🙂
These first two pictures are the ingredients list from the primers. The first one is the new Blemish Rescue and the second one is the Blemish Remedy.
Next the ingredients list from the foundations. First the new Blemish Rescue and next the old Blemish Remedy.
So, yes, there is a list of long words that I cannot pronounce. I just want to make a couple of comments about these ingredient lists.
- The new formulas have a MUCH longer list
- The new formulas lack tea tree oil whereas that was a benefit of the old.
- The new formulas have more fruit extracts and have a special mineral complex.
- NO TEA TREE OIL – This is a huge one for me because I love tea tree oil for treating acne. I believe they took it out in order to make the products less drying, but not worth it in my opinion.
- NO CONCEALER – I don’t know for sure if this is being discontinued or not. I certainly hope not because I love this concealer! It works really well for acne as far as treating and covering.
- SMELL – The foundation smells so bad! I have asthma and have difficulty with certain smells and this is horrible. I have to practically hold my breath to apply it. This is one of my favorite things (usually) about Bare Minerals is the lack of smell.
- Normal Bare Minerals Foundation Packaging – This new foundation has the same twist to open cap as the regular foundations which can help avoid a mess. The old style had a mesh cover, which made it difficult to get foundation out and got powder everywhere.
- Non Drying – This is a big one for anyone that has dry skin already. Mine is usually very dry, but like I said I still like tea tree oil for acne treatment. They took that out, I believe, to help it not dry out your skin.
- Primer is not as runny – The original primer was clear and very runny. The new primer is not runny at all and very easy to apply without making a mess.
I really liked the old lineup. The primer, foundation, and concealer all worked together in perfect harmony to treat and heal acne. I have been using the new formulas for a couple of weeks and must say that these are good, but the old ones are better. Again, I love tea tree oil for treating acne and I believe that it does not work as well since they took it out. It still works, but not as well. I will also mention that my acne is hormonal, so it comes and goes usually on its own, but I love a product that will give a little extra help during a flare up. Overall, if you are having trouble with acne I would still recommend this new lineup, but I think I am going to be using the old until I completely run out. If you loved the old formula, get it now. I believe it is being clearanced out!
Check out the foundation here: Blemish Remedy Powder Foundation
Check out the Primer here: Blemish Remedy Primer
What do you think? Have you tried any of the Bare Minerals line for acne prone skin? Would you like to? Which product do you think you would like best?